If you are considering your budget for 2023, you may be finding it more difficult to decide how much to allocate to different maintenance areas. You know that preventive maintenance can save you a significant amount of money in repair and replacement costs. Whether your overall budget is larger or smaller than in previous years, you want to get it right the first time. One area that you want to pay close attention to is your asphalt maintenance budget.
Why Is an Asphalt Maintenance Budget Essential for Property Owners?
Asphalt is a very popular choice for everything from streets to parking lots. It costs less and is faster to install than concrete, offers exceptional curb appeal, and can serve you well for many years. However, if you do not provide it with the proper paving maintenance, your pavement will not last as long or look as good as it should. Hence, you will probably need to reconstruct your pavement in less than 10 years. In the meantime, you will face increasing costs for parking lot repairs, and you could be driving away business or increasing your potential liabilities.
What Preventive Services Should I Include in an Asphalt Maintenance Budget?
Parking lot maintenance services can provide different benefits. In the preventive maintenance category, you should budget for the following.
1. Asphalt crack repairs are essential if you want to prevent additional damage. Water will drain into cracks and other breaks, then gravity will pull it deeper into the structure. Eventually, the water will erode the base, making it too unstable and weak to provide the necessary support. Most cracks in asphalt are working cracks that will continue to expand until you repair them. As they grow, they allow more water to enter and inflict more damage to the base. Soon, your parking lot could be riddled with potholes and patches of alligatored asphalt. Your budget should include a professional inspection every six months to identify and repair significant cracks.
2. Parking lot sealcoating is an inexpensive procedure, but it can increase the longevity of your pavement substantially. Sealcoating can help prevent damage from the sun, vehicle fluids, and water penetration. Depending on the wear and tear your pavement receives, you should have your contractor apply a quality parking lot sealcoat every two to three years.
3. Routine cleanings can help you protect your pavement. Arrange for a professional sweeping service to remove loose gravel, sand, trash, and other debris regularly. Moisture will collect underneath piles of debris, increasing the likelihood that moss, algae, or mold will take root in the pores of your pavement. Routine cleaning also includes removing fluids that cars have leaked on your pavement. These fluids deteriorate the binder in asphalt pavement, so the pavement begins to crumble. The nature of your business will determine your cleaning frequency. At the very least, you should budget for monthly sweepings and annual removal of fluids.
What Other Services Should I Include in a Parking Lot Maintenance Budget?
If you look around your parking lot, we will probably find that it consists of more than just a pavement. You should also budget for the replacement or repair of the following features.
1. The pavement markings and stripes help you maintain an orderly parking lot, but they also enhance your property’s safety and curb appeal. A good time to replace your markings and stripes is when your contractor applies your parking lot sealcoating. Parking lot sealcoating are opaque and dark, so they will obliterate your existing markings.
2. Traffic signs help you maintain an orderly circulation of traffic, but they are also critical for satisfying certain legal requirements. However, signs and their posts can become damaged by weather, accidents, or vandals. Your budget should include sufficient funds to replace damaged signs and posts. You can call on your past experience to determine the number of signs you typically replace every year so that you can budget appropriately.
3. Concrete bumper blocks fall in the same category as your signage. These wheel stops can be knocked out of alignment or broken, making them a safety hazard. If the misaligned blocks encroach on an accessible route, you could be in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If possible, budget for the replacement of broken or misaligned blocks every quarter.
When you need the best parking lot repair and paving maintenance, turn to Asphalt Care Services. We are experienced professionals with an exceptional reputation for service, workmanship, and professionalism. We offer an extensive assortment of parking lot repair and asphalt maintenance services, including sealcoating, bumper block and traffic sign installations, asphalt paving, speed bump installation, asphalt pothole repairs, thermoplastic line striping, pavement markings, and parking lot striping. If you are interested in a free quote, you can submit your request by calling 772-888-2840, filling out the online form, or emailing [email protected].