Although asphalt pavements are comparatively economical to install and repair, you would probably prefer to avoid an early replacement or costly, unnecessary repairs. Most asphalt paving professionals know that sealcoating is easily the most cost-effective way to obtain a long, healthy life for your pavement. However, many people wonder about the drying time of asphalt sealcoating as they are concerned about disrupting their normal operations. Under most circumstances, sealcoating does not take very long to dry, but the actual drying time will primarily depend on the weather.
What Are the Weather Conditions That Affect the Drying Time of Asphalt Sealcoating?
An asphalt seal coating company applies a liquid mixture that usually consists of water, concentrated sealant, and sand. By volume, this mixture is around 70% water, and the water must evaporate for the sealcoating to dry. Therefore, the drying time of Treasure Coast asphalt seal coating depends on weather conditions that affect the rate of evaporation.
1. Humidity: The relative humidity can have a significant impact on the drying time of asphalt seal coating in Treasure Coast. Humidity is a measure of how much water the air contains at a specific time in a specific area. The more water the air contains, the more difficult it will be for water molecules in the sealcoating to escape. Thus, evaporation slows or stops entirely. The cutoff point for most asphalt seal coating contractors is around 90% humidity. However, when other weather conditions are taken into account, a relative humidity level of even 80% may make it unwise to apply sealcoating.
2. Wind: Wind helps circulate the air above the pavement, moving waterlogged molecules away so that more water can evaporate. Typically, a local asphalt seal coating company prefers a steady wind speed between 4 mph and 10 mph.
3. Sunlight: Asphalt sealcoating needs to be exposed to sunlight for several hours if proper curing is to occur. On a sunny day, three or four hours is usually sufficient, but an asphalt seal coating company will need to extend the exposure time on an overcast day.
4. Temperature: Asphalt seal coating is an extremely temperature-sensitive product. The minimum acceptable temperature for applying asphalt seal coating in Treasure Coast is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The minimum temperature is higher on a humid, still day, especially if there are intermittent clouds.
After Considering the Various Weather Conditions, How Long Does It Take Asphalt Sealcoating to Dry?
There are a great many scenarios that are possible when combining the various weather conditions. The best way to obtain an accurate answer is to ask your local asphalt seal coating company about drying time on the day of your application. However, it is possible to provide some rough estimates on the drying time of Treasure Coast asphalt seal coating.
1. If all weather conditions are ideal, you can usually walk on Treasure Coast asphalt sealcoating in three or four hours. If the humidity is high, the wind is extremely light, and the humidity is high, it can take twice as long for the sealcoating to be dry enough for pedestrians.
2. Bike trails, golf cart paths, and other pavements that only support lightweight vehicles may be sufficiently dry in less than 24 hours. However, under adverse weather conditions, the drying time could be twice as long.
3. Parking lots and pavements that support similar loads typically need a minimum of 24 hours for the asphalt seal coating to dry. However, it is better to keep the pavement closed for 48 hours if you can. The sealcoating will become harder as it cures, and this can lengthen its life. If the weather conditions are marginal, most asphalt seal coating contractors recommend waiting an additional day to ensure proper drying.
Asphalt Care Services is a highly regarded family-owned company specializing in the care of Treasure Coast asphalt pavements. In addition to asphalt sealcoating, we offer asphalt paving, speed bump installation, asphalt repair, parking lot maintenance, concrete bumpers, parking lot striping, traffic signage, and thermoplastic line striping. We are known for our competitive rates, exceptional craftsmanship, professional attitude, and exemplary service. We offer free quotes, so fill out the online form to submit your request. If you prefer, you can call us at 772-888-5648, or you can send an email to [email protected].