Critical Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Sealcoating Contractor
If you are responsible for the health of an asphalt pavement, you may already know the importance of sealcoats. Asphalt seal coating is a surprisingly economical and amazingly effective way to extend your pavement’s life and reduce your repair bills. However, the benefits are directly tied to the skills, experience, and integrity of your sealcoating contractor. Before you sign a contract for asphalt sealing, the contractor needs to provide satisfactory answers to the following questions.
What Is Your Level of Experience as a Sealcoating Contractor?
It is not enough to know how long the company has been in business. It is also not enough to know the total years of experience that the contractor has. Sometimes, sealcoating companies begin as striping contractors, or they may begin as paving contractors. Therefore, you should always determine the length of time that the contractor has been actively sealing asphalt pavements. You also need to know what experience the contractor has in jobs that are similar to yours. Sealing asphalt driveways, for example, is much less demanding than sealcoating parking lots.
How Do You Prepare Your Parking Lot Sealcoating Mix?
The companies that manufacture asphalt sealcoating concentrates provide specific instructions for preparing them for application. You want to ensure that your contractor follows those instructions precisely. Your contractor can provide you with the name of the sealcoat, and you can look up the specs online if you wish. Otherwise, watch out for three red flags.
1. Sealcoating companies that claim to have a secret recipe for mixing their coating are either erroneous or deceptive. Secret recipes imply that the contractor does not plan to follow the manufacturer’s specifications.
2. A contractor who states that parking lot sealcoating mixes should not include sand is also erroneous or deceptive. Sand in the mix enhances traction, but it also helps your sealant last longer.
3. The contractor does not appear to understand how sealcoating additives work. If a contractor advises incorporating an additive, he should be able to explain the benefits and potential drawbacks. Even worse are contractors who recommend using several different additives in one mix. Most manufacturers advise against using more than one additive at a time.
Do You Have References of Clients You Have Served as a Sealcoating Contractor?
Reputable, experienced sealcoating companies have lists of satisfied customers that they are happy to provide. Look for jobs that are similar to yours in size and complexity. Be sure to call these references to inquire about the contractor’s dependability, communication skills, and workmanship.
Will You Provide Proof of Your Insurance Coverage?
Sealcoating companies should carry workers’ compensation, general liability, and vehicle liability insurance. Many contractors also carry an umbrella policy that provides even more protection for them and their customers.
What Steps Will You Follow to Apply My Parking Lot Sealcoating?
Exceptional results require contractors to follow a series of steps. Here are a few of these steps.
1. On a large parking lot, the contractor may recommend dividing the pavement into sections. Each section can be closed, sealed, and reopened individually to minimize any inconvenience to your clients, tenants, or employees.
2. Your contractor should have a clear plan for controlling traffic in and around the work area.
3. Your contractor will need to repair significant cracks or other pavement breaks prior to sealing the pavement.
4. Your pavement must be scrupulously cleaned so that the sealant and the pavement can form a strong bond. Your contractor needs to remove any vegetation, dirt, loose gravel, and other debris. If vehicles have leaked oil on your pavement, these stains will need a thorough cleaning, and they may require priming.
5. When sealcoating parking lots, the industry standard is typically an application of two thin coats. Some contractors will try to speed things up by applying just one thick coat, but this will not yield satisfactory results.
6. Your contractor should make sure that workers leave your site clean and neat.
If you need exceptional Treasure Coast sealcoating, contact Asphalt Care Services. We are a leading asphalt company offering parking lot maintenance, and repair services. Our services include asphalt repair, concrete bumpers, asphalt sealcoating, traffic signage, parking lot striping, residential asphalt paving, speed bump installations, thermoplastic line striping, and parking lot maintenance plans. We have an exemplary reputation for craftsmanship, service, and integrity. For a free quote, call 772-888-2840, fill in our online form, or email [email protected].