How To Maximize Your Return With Parking Lot Maintenance
An asphalt parking lot is an excellent investment for most businesses. Asphalt is more economical and faster to install than concrete, and asphalt pavements can be long-lived if given adequate care. Despite its comparatively low cost, however, you probably still want your parking lot to last as long as possible. Although some companies have different accounting methods, most businesses depreciate a parking lot over a period of 15 years. If the company must replace the lot sooner, it generally must expense the undepreciated balance. If you want your pavement to last for 15 years or longer, you should be proactive about your parking lot maintenance.
What Is Parking Lot Maintenance?
Some parking lot maintenance companies classify asphalt maintenance as either routine or preventive. Although it may sound like a case of splitting a hair, there are some minor differences between the two categories of pavement maintenance. Typically, routine maintenance includes the more mundane tasks, including sweeping, parking lot striping, and car stop replacements. Preventive maintenance procedures are those that can help prevent damage. Examples of preventive maintenance include asphalt sealcoating, crack repairs, and oil stain treatments.
What Procedures Should I Include in My Asphalt Pavement Maintenance Program?
There can be major differences between parking lots. Some lots support thousands of cars each day that only stay for an hour or two. Other lots support just a few dozen employee vehicles that tend to remain stationary all day. The age of the parking lot pavement can also impact the type of maintenance procedures you will need. Therefore, you should consult a reputable parking lot maintenance company to tailor a plan for your specific pavement. However, the following list can give a general idea of what a typical parking lot needs.
1. Crack Repairs: If your parking lot is new, you may not need any crack repairs for four or five years. However, as soon as you identify the first crack, you should call your pavement maintenance contractor for advice. Typically, contractors recommend inspecting for significant cracks every spring and every fall, then immediately repairing them. Asphalt contractors usually define significant cracks as those that are deeper or wider than about a quarter of an inch.
2. Sealcoating: Asphalt sealcoating is a remarkably cost-effective way to prevent damage to asphalt pavements. Sealcoating blocks the UV rays that make asphalt brittle and dry, and it helps prevent damage from petroleum-based vehicle fluids. Asphalt pavements that receive regular sealcoat applications can often last twice as long as those that never receive a sealcoat application. On average, Treasure Coast parking lots need asphalt sealcoating about every two years. However, parking lot paving companies normally do not recommend sealing a new pavement for at least three months.
3. Cleaning: Clean pavements tend to require fewer repairs, and this can help ensure a longer life for your parking lot. Remove debris regularly, clean up oil leaks, and keep catch basins and drains clear of clogs.
4. Parking Lot Striping: Repaint your pavement markings and line striping every time your contractor sealcoats your parking lot. You should also repaint worn, damaged, or faded stripes and markings.
5. Signs and Car Stops: Every few months, inspect your parking lot to locate missing or broken signs. Replace them if you cannot repair them. You should also look for broken or out-of-position car stops that could damage vehicle tires or trip pedestrians. Replacement is typically the only option for problematic car stops.
The experts at Asphalt Care Services would be happy to help you create the perfect pavement maintenance plan for your Treasure Coast parking lot. We offer an extensive range of services, including sealcoating, asphalt patching, asphalt crack repairs, concrete car stops, driveway asphalt paving, thermoplastic line striping, parking lot signs, speed bumps, and asphalt crack repairs. We have the experience, knowledge, resources, and staff to handle jobs of any size. We serve the entire Treasure Coast, and we are known for providing exceptional results at competitive rates. You can fill out our online form to request a free quote, or you can give us a call at 772-888-2840.